Friday, July 23, 2010

Shaper Steve Wilson

I went to the northshore to pick up a custom surfboard shaped by Steve Wilson. Steve started shaping in 1969 near Black Point in Kahala. Since 1980 he has been shaping for Local Motion- 30 Years! He handshapes, glasses, and airbrushes his boards. In his backyard are banana, mango, avocado, and lychee trees.

Beacuse its been slow in the surfboard making industry, Steve Wilson has taken to surfboard restoration. He strips off the old glass. Then he has to fill all the dings and broken areas of foam with putty. In some cases, he has to match the wood stringers as well. The boards he works on are classics- check out the Ben Aipa stinger in the background. The one on the rack is an Owl Chapman gun. He is a true craftsman.

3 comments:

  1. I just found a Steve Wilson Surfboard at a garage sale and paid $5.00. It's great. See it at www.mydeartrash.com. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a awesome gun shape and signed by STEVE WILSON . It has Diana surfboards on it and as well as being signed by Steve it is signed * Cheyne * on the stringer is this Cheyne Horan ??? I would like to know more about this board it has some great lines in the glassing . I would like you to see a picture. I have it on Craigs lists Seattle area. Thanks Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any idea how I can get in touch with Steve Wilson? I have a board he shaped around 20 years ago and would love to get him to restore it. The board is magic and still the best I have ever owned despite having ridden dozens of other shapes over the years.

    ReplyDelete